CPE Course Surgent's Social Security, Medicare, and Prescription Drug Retirement Benefits: What Every Baby Boomer Needs to Know Now (SSRB)
October 25, 2017
11:30AM — 7:30 PM
Field of Interest
Practitioners who have baby boomer clients with significant wages or earned income
8.00 creditsView Cart
- Identify who is entitled to retirement benefits and in what amounts
- Identify factors to consider in determining when to take benefits
- Discuss taxation of Social Security benefits & how this impacts other income tax planning
- Identify and describe the potential effects of retirement and estate planning strategies and tactics that can enhance overall retirement and estate benefits by changing the 'who' and 'when' of the receipt of Social Security benefit payments
- Explain Medicare & the prescription drug provision; describe the basic supplementary insurance plans that are available to fill in the gaps in basic Medicare coverage
- Legislative developments
- A full chapter devoted to determining the best new planning options for maximizing joint Social Security benefits
- Retirement benefits: Amount of benefits in various circumstances; how the amounts are distributed within the family unit
- Qualification: Has the client retired? How business entities may be used for Social Security advantage
- Income taxation of Social Security: avoidance tactics
- Spousal benefits: Should a spouse return to work? What benefits does a spouse have and when and how do they relate to benefits decisions by the client?
- Hiring the spouse: When is it effective?
- Disability benefits
- Going on Social Security: advantages and disadvantages at ages 62, 66, and 70
- Coordinating benefits: should you take Social Security first and higher-balance IRA distributions later, or take IRA balance first and enhanced Social Security benefits later?
- Pensions: Distribution strategies; how to use the minimum distribution rules in concert with Social Security benefits
- IRAs: Is it time to convert to a Roth?
- Medicare, Part D prescription drugs: what retirees need to know
Surgent McCoy CPE, LLC