CPE Course Education Costs: Tax Planning
October 30, 2017
2:00 PM — 4:00 PM
Field of Interest
CPAs , lawyers and other advisers who offer tax and personal financial advice to individauls.
2.00 creditsView Cart
- Determine whether gross income is reported for scholarships, fellowships, grants and tuition reductions.
- Evaluate possible tax credits available.
- Recognize law that allows possible deductions for student loan interest, tuition and fees.
- Analyze the various tax preferred education savings provisions.
- Identify the tax consequences of student loan cancellation and repayment assistance.
- Consider possible tax saving related to employer provided educational assistance.
- Describe the law applicable to determine whether a deduction can be claimed for work related education costs.
- Scholarships, fellowships, grants and tuition reduction
- American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning tax credits
- Deduction for student loan interest expense
- Tax treatment of student loan cancellation and repayment assistance
- Deduction for tuition and fees
- Coverall Education Savings Account
- Qualified Tuition Program
- Early withdraw from Individual Retirement Account (IRA)
- Employer provided educational assistance
- Business deduction for work related education
Basic understanding of the federal income tax law as applied to individual taxpayers.
California Society of CPAs