CPE Course Owning and Renting a Principal Residence
October 30, 2017
11:30AM — 12:30PM
Field of Interest
CPAs, lawyers and other advisers who offer tax and personal financial advice to individuals.
1.00 creditsView Cart
- Determine the tax deductibility of interest expense related to debt secured by the residence.
- Evaluate deduction available for real property taxes.
- Consider possible tax savings from residential energy credit.
- Recognize and apply the "home office" deduction limitation for business use of principal residence.
- Evaluate the tax consequences of renting a principal residence for all or part of the taxable year.
- Consider how the casualty loss rules apply to principal residences.
- Deduction of "home mortgage interest"
- Deduction of real property taxes taxes
- Residential energy credits
- Use of the home for business purposes, "home office" complication
- Rental of a principal residence, the vacation home complication
- Rental of principal residence with a resulting loss, the passive activity limitation
- Casualty losses
Basic understanding of the federal income tax law as applied to individual taxpayers.
California Society of CPAs